SECTION REVIEW 3-1 pg 87
1. Which of the following properties are scalars and which are vectors?
a) the acceleration of a plane as it takes off
b) the number of passengers on the plane
c) the duration of the flight
d) the displacement of the flight
e) the amount of fuel required for the flight
2. A roller coaster moves 85 m horizontally, then travels 45 m at an angle of 30° above the horizontal. What is its displacement from its starting point. Use graphical techniques (with ruler, proctractor and graph paper) DRAWING ACCURATELY: RESULTANT IS 125.9 M AT 10.3 degrees above the horizontal. (79.7 degrees to the vertical)
3. A novice pilot sets a plane’s controls, thinking that the plane will fly 250 km/hr to the north. If the wind blows at 75 km/hr to the south east ( 135 °), what is the plane’s resultant velocity? Use graphical techniques (with ruler, proctractor and graph paper)
Drawing accurately: Resultant is 203.98 kn/hr at 15 degrees East of North (75 degrees North of East).
4. While flying over the Grand Canyon, the pilot slows the planes engines down to one-half the velocity in item 3 (125 km/hr to the north). If the wind’s velocity is still 75 km/hr to the southeast (135°), what will the planes new resultant velocity be? Use graphical techniques (with ruler, proctractor and graph paper)
Drawing accurately: Resultant is 89.4 km/hr at 36.4 degrees East of North (53.6 degrees North of East).
5. The water used in many fountains is recycled (ugh!). For instance, a single water particle in a fountain travels through an 85 m system and then returns to the same point. What is the displacement of a water particle during one cycle?