INTRO TO SIMPLE HARMONIC MOTION QUESTIONS
1) Find at least 5 examples from class/home of simple harmonic oscillators.
2) Read Chapter 12, Section One. 437-445
3) Explain the difference between a simple and a damped oscillator (from reading)
4) Do Section Review 12-1
1 Which of these periodic motions are simple harmonic?
a) a childe swinging on a playground swing at a small angle.
b) a record rotating on a turntable
c) an oscillating clock pendulum
2) A pinball machine uses a spring that is compressed 4.0 cm to launch a ball. If the spring constant is 13 N/m, what is the force on the ball at the moment the spring is released?
3) How does the restoring force acting on a pendulum bob change as the bob swings towards the equilibrium position? How do the bobís acceleration (along the direction of motion) and velocity change?
4) When an acrobat reaches the equilibrium position, the net force acting along the direction of motion is zero. Why does the acrobat swing PAST the equilibrium position?