SECTION 2-1 Book Work
Page 41 Conceptual Challenge
1. Space Shuttle: A space shuttle takes off from Florida, and circles around Earth several times, finally landing in California. While the shuttle is in flight, a photographer flies from Florida to California to take pictures of the astronauts when they step off the shuttle. Who undergoes the greater displacement, the photographer or the astronauts?
2. ROUNDTRIP: What is the difference between the displacement of the photographer flying from Florida to California and the displacement of the astronauts flying from California back to Florida?
Page 45 Conceptual Challenge
1. Book on a table: A book is moved once around the edge of a tabletop with dimensions 1.75 m X 2.25 m. If the book ends up at its initial position, what is its displacement? IF it completes its motion in 23 s what is the average velocity? What is its average speed?
2. Car A travels from New York to Miami at a speed of 25 m/s. Car B travels from New York to Chicago, also at a speed of 25 m/s. Are the velocities equal? Explain.
Page 47 Section Review 2-1
1. Does knowing the displacement between the position of two objects give you enough information to locate the objects? Explain.
2. What is the shortest possible time in which a bacterium could move at a speed of 3.5 mm/s across a Petri dish with a diameter of 8.4 cm?